Monday 9 May 2016

The start of my journey

As a fourteen-year-old teenager, I remember meandering the Coles Bookstore at the Seaway Mall in Welland, Ontario.  I remember picking up this thin, blue book published by an affiliate of the Globe and Mail.  The book was titled, "Exploring Options".  I had an interest in personal finance at the time and wondered what this book was all about.  Ten minutes into my reading I was hooked.  I've had an insatiable hunger to learn more about options ever since.

Fast forward a little over twenty years.  I'm now in a unique situation to comfortably allocate $100,000 to 'speculate' in options.  Like my days in front of a fume hood during my misguided pursuit of an undergraduate degree in chemistry, I now wonder how the pilot project of mine will fare.  Sure, I've traded options over the years, but never with a purpose.  I now have a purpose--to generate consistent annual returns in excess of 15 percent and to double the value of the portfolio at least every 5 years.

As with any journey, half the fun is getting there.  I intend to memorialize every trade, thought and rationale to be able to objectively reflect on my decisions.  I hope the critical thoughts of others will provide alternative views to my own so that this journey will enrich all who take the time to read and participate in this discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment